Monday, October 3, 2011

Tutu Fun

Tutus!! Who doesn't love tutus? Especially on little girls. I grew up dancing and I had more than my fair share of dance costumes to play dress up with as a child. Unfortunately for the Munchkin, we don't really have the expendable income to keep her in classes all week long like I would like to. That doesn't mean she can't have an enviable dress up wardrobe. We have the obligatory princess tiaras and wands, some fairy wings and lots of jewelry in her dress up box, but I think it needs more. I set out to find a relatively simple tute on tutus and instead found a whole sea of information about them. All you have to do it type tutu in your google search box and hold on, there are videos and tutes, pics, instructables, hints, and for those who have don't have the time or inclination, there is always ETSY to make your handmade facade come true!

The Munchkin in her new tutu

The Munchkin and I took a quick trip to the Lobby for the tulle and I let her pick the colors. She has been on a blue and purple kick lately so those were the obvious choices. We also picked up some red, soft pink, and black spools since it was on sale for 50% off! I already have lots of ribbon to choose from. Making the tutu was sooo much easier than I thought it would be. I was able to finish it up after the Munchkin's bedtime while catching  up on some of my DVR shows. It took less than 2 shows and I was completely done. The hardest part was not waking her up to try it on as soon as I completed it! (I restrained myself and we got some pics the next day). I even took some of the leftover tulle and made a "pony tutu" to match. I think the pony tutu was Munchkin's favorite part of the outfit. 

Newborn Tutu
After realizing how easy, and relatively inexpensive, it was to make the tutu, I will never buy one again. I made a couple more for some friends who are having/ recently had baby girls. As soon as they send me some pics of those precious girls in all their frilly fineness, I will be sure to share! I am considering a tute for these since they are so simple and I am sure I can explain it well. If there is enough interest, I will get to work on that. I may do it anyway, it'll give me an excuse to make more tutu's for all the wonderful little ladies in my life. I think Munchkin is going to need some Fall color tutus soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment