Monday, October 3, 2011

Handprint Fall Trees

The Munchkin's Handprint Tree

I am grudgingly trying to accept that the dreaded F-A-L-L is upon us. The biggest problem with f-a-l-l is that it is closely followed by my absolute least favorite time of the year: W-I-N-T-E-R. While the Munchkin loves the cold and she adores snow (though Im convinced it's because she has never had to deal with it more than a couple of days in a row), I am a spring/summer kind of gal. Nevertheless, the biggest, and hardest, lesson learned from parenting: it is not about me anymore. In an effort to trick myself into having fun during the yucky months, I am planning a few crafts and projects to keep my mind off the actual weather and keep my booty inside. 
I saw this beautiful handprint tree on Meet the Dubiens and knew it was perfect for us! I had wanted to have my niece make one too since she comes for daycare here, but it was a little more involved than she is ready to be. She made her own, beautiful fall painting creations while the Munchkin made her tree. I even got in on the fun and made a handprint tree too. It was fun and a big mess and the girls thought it was uber exciting to make such a mess in the kitchen, I usually kick us out to the backyard for the super messes. I think we will probably make these every year for a while, it'll be a good way to see her getting bigger every year. Though, I'm not always convinced I want even more proof she is growing, it is nice to look back and see how much smaller she was.
My Handprint Tree
If you want to make your own handprint trees you'll need some paints (appropriate for your workspace) in fall colors, a canvas or paper to work with (The Dubiens used canvas, but we settled for some plain old construction paper), some newspaper to cover your work area, and lots of towels that will probably end up stained. Paint your hand and arm brown and stamp onto the page, then use finger and thumb prints to add leaves. It can be as dense or as sparse as you wish, there can be falling leaves or leaves on the ground. You could even use bright green colors to make this a Spring craft instead of a Fall craft. 
There are so many projects and pictures I wish I had done with Munchkin when she was smaller. I feel like I missed a huge opportunity to record her life and growth, especially as a baby. I will not miss more of those!   

No comments:

Post a Comment