Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Halloween Candies

Frank, Ghosts, & Skulls
I'm really started to get excited about Halloween this year. I have mixed feelings about Halloween, or at least the Halloween we celebrate now. It makes me more than a little sad and, sometimes, angry about the costumes that we see. It's even worse now as a parent, there are so many costumes available for kids that are so inappropriate. On the other hand, I love all the beautiful, meaningful, well thought out costumes and decorations and confections. We have a big trip coming up and, like a lot of people, money is tight. I just don't have the budget to do much beyond a few simple have-on-hand crafts with the Munchkin, like the Spiders and Ghosts that we just did. I have a couple more that we will try a little closer to the big day. Last year we made these fun candies, though. I thought I could share these for now.

Aren't the Frank's Handsome?

To make these you'll need:
-white, black, and green candy melts
(you could also use all white and add gel coloring)
- candy molds
- candy flavors (optional)
- food markers (optional)

I was able to purchase everything I needed at a local bakery supply shop, but I know that all of these items are available at the big craft stores, M and the lobby, so you can make them too. All I did was melt the candies according to the package instructions and fill the molds. If you want to add flavors, add them while you melt the candies. I used a paintbrush to cover each mold with a layer of candy before I poured in the rest to fill them up. I found that this helped eliminate some of the air bubbles that get trapped. I also used a smaller paint brush for the frankenstein pops so I could be more precise about the hair line. Once the mold is full and the sticks are in, pop it in the fridge for about 30 minutes (or if you are impatient like me, the freezer for 10 minutes works nicely too). Once they set, pop them out on a layer of wax paper or parchment for finishing touches! I used a black food writer to make the scar on Frank's head a little more prominent and a couple of the ghosts got colored in faces, sorry I didn't take a pic of those. I like the Wilton markers, but I have heard some rumors that there are other food marker brands that work better on the candy melt surfaces. If I get the inclination for a side by side test, I'll let y'all know! In the meantime, I'm racking my brain for some more fun Halloween crafts to do with the Munchkin.





No comments:

Post a Comment